Software engineer is vital to any company that either makes its own software programs or customizes third-party software. These professionals are responsible for software writing, reviewing, and editing. The field includes experts in the many different levels of software development.
They can find employment in information technology consulting firms, information technology research and development firms, and information technology units both in the private and public sectors.
Job prospects for software engineers in Canada
Software engineer-NOC 2173
Median wage per hour- The median wage for this profession is 43.27 dollars per hour and the maximum wages for this profession is in the Canadian province of Alberta where the median wage is 48.08 dollars per hour.
- Technical knowledge to work with technological equipment and machinery to debug and reprogram technical systems. Install and set up technical infrastructure
- Knowledge of computer and information systems and their design
- Analytical skills for inspecting and testing, planning, projecting outcomes and for research
- Math skills
|Newfoundland and Labrador||23.20||37.02||50.72|
|Prince Edward Island||25.24||36.56||48.08|
3-year job prospect-The job prospect in the next three years for software engineers is good in most provinces of Canada.
|Newfoundland and Labrador||Undetermined|
|Prince Edward Island||Good|
For software engineers, new job openings over the period between 2019-2028 is expected to be 27,500 , while 24,000 new job seekers will be available to fill them.
Projected job vacancies are projected to be substantially higher for job applicants, thereby creating a shortage of jobs over the period 2019-2028. It is estimated that retirements and job growth will account for about 60 per cent of all job openings.
Employment is expected to rise at a considerably higher rate than all occupations combined. As a result, job growth would account for more than half of all jobs, which is higher than the average of all occupations (about 27 percent of jobs). It is estimated that there will be a shortage of employees which will account for 20% of vacant positions in the next ten years.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering or mathematics or completion of a college program in computer science
- A master’s or doctoral degree in a related discipline
- Engineers are eligible for registration after graduating from an accredited educational program, gaining three or four years of work experience in engineering, and passing a professional practice examination
- Experience as a computer programmer
Software engineers require a certification from a regulatory authority before they start working. The table below gives details of regulation requirements of provinces:
Number of vacancies- There are 193 job openings for software engineers in Canada.
Responsibilities of a software engineer
- Collecting and documenting user expectations and creating conceptual and physical requirements
- Study, analyze and synthesize technical knowledge, including mobile applications, to design, build and test computer-based systems
- Develop data, process and network models for system architecture optimization and system performance
- Plan, design, and organize computer-based systems development, deployment, integration, and operation including mobile applications
- Assess, test, troubleshoot, record, update and improve operating system maintenance procedures, communications environments and software applications